If you made it here to this post straight from search engine (if not, just pretend you did) then nothing should hold me back in saying:
“You’re one step closer.”
Yes you are.
And for a little bit of formality I will have to quote this crucial event from Citizenship Immigration Canada:
Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence? Yes.
There you have it. After a congratulatory opening I know you are eager to know how to get NBI clearance from Canada. Definitely it’s possible. You don’t have to go anywhere. (Another yes for that. Three in total.)
But before we move on I want to share a few important tips people tend to skip but shouldn’t dare.
Things You Have to Use Wisely (and Creatively) In Applying for the NBI Clearance Certificate:
- Time is on your side. That is if you know how to wield it according to your wishes. Create a timeline of when you will apply for permanent residency in Canada. Consider all the requirements including the renewal of Philippine passport in Canada or in the Philippines. Choose the date and mark it on your calendar hanging on your wall or set a reminder on the calendar app in your mobile phone.
- Charm is more than luck. You have to work for it. You’ll need help from relatives or friends so let them know ahead of time. (Already drafting a timeline?) Don’t be demanding. They also have a schedule and agendas they wouldn’t want to let you know so as not to send the signal of turning down a favor.
No they wouldn’t—if you ask nicely. Don’t forget to show your appreciation. I’ll leave this up to you; colorful ideas in different sizes (how about yellow shoes?) are endless.
So before you ask a favor, I’ll grant one for you.
Steps on How to Get NBI Clearance from Canada
Step 1: Get NBI Form No.5. You can do this in different ways:
- Ask a relative or friend from the Philippines to get one for you. Provide an authorization letter and send the scanned document via email. Your representative can mail the form or better yet ask a favor to someone going back to Canada to take it with them.
- Ask a relative or friend from Canada to get one for you if they are about to go to any Philippine consulates and embassy or they happen to live nearby.
- Ask a copy through a letter of request with self-addressed prepaid return envelope to Philippine Consulate General in Vancouver, Toronto, and Philippine Embassy in Ottawa.
- You can go to the PCG and embassy mentioned above to get the form and have your fingerprint impression if you’re close in the area. ($28.75 is the consularization fee.) Check the website for the requirements. To ensure the availability of NBI Form No.5 don’t forget to call prior to your visit.
Step 2: Fill up the form. Because the NBI clearance certificate is one of the requirements for application of permanent resident in Canada you can write in the purpose: “immigration requirement.”
Step 3: Have your fingerprints impressed. Take the accomplished NBI Form No.5 to the nearest Philippine embassy or consulate or police agency (RCMP), or fingerprinting agency.
Step 4: Attach a 2×2 photograph (with white background) to the form. The photograph must be taken within three months before the application of NBI clearance certificate in Canada.
Step 5: Send the NBI form to your authorized representative for filling at the NBI in the Philippines. The cost of the NBI clearance certificate is Php 115.00; you can check the website of National Bureau of Investigation for any changes.
Tip: When you apply to become a permanent resident in Canada, you will also need a Canadian criminal record check (police certificate). To save time it is best to apply for NBI clearance certificate and police certificate at the same time in a police agency.
Those are just short procedures, you might say.
By now for sure you want to know how long it will take to get the NBI clearance certificate in Canada. Don’t forget to consider the journey the form has to go through before it arrives in the Philippines and back in Canada.
The right question is when are you going to apply for permanent residence. From that point you can find out when to get a police certificate.
Go on. You already know how to get NBI clearance from Canada.
You can start making the timeline and scouting for the right representative you can ask for favor that will determine your future—a permanent one.
With all the tips what’s the fastest way are you considering in getting the NBI certificate?